Michael K Dunbar
T: +1 (650) 995-3481
Michael Dunbar is the President and co-founder of CEG North America. Mr Dunbar specializes in the quantification of damages in conjunction with international arbitrations and commercial litigation. His work involves finance, statistical analysis, business valuation, and the valuation of assets and intellectual capital. He performs analyses across a variety of industries including energy, telecom, health care, environmental, computer, Internet, and pharmaceutical. His list of clients includes emerging and growth firms, as well as government entities and established firms such as Apple Computer, Boehringer Ingelheim, BP Corporation, Edison International, Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation, Elan Pharmaceuticals, Hewlett Packard, PGE Polska, Samsung, Verizon, and Vivendi Universal Corporation.
Mr Dunbar has given written and oral testimony on the quantum of damages and valuation in arbitration proceedings and trials in Austria, Hong Kong, Italy, Poland, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Mr Dunbar’s publications include chapters in the Litigation Services Handbook, "Ex Ante versus Ex Post Damages Calculations", 3rd, 4th, and 5th editions, and in The Handbook of Business Valuation and Intellectual Property Analysis, "Differences Between Economic Damages Analysis and Business Valuation."
In addition, Mr Dunbar has performed business, project and stock option valuation for a wide variety of clients, as well as consulting on management issues, including mergers and acquisitions, pricing, licensing, and wage and hour litigation.
Mr Dunbar has an MBA from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania; a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering, with a concentration in Energy, from the University of California, Berkeley; and a BS in Mechanical Engineering from California Polytechnic State University. He is also a licensed Professional Engineer.
Prior to co-founding CEG North America, Mr Dunbar was the Managing Partner and a Vice President in the Palo Alto office of Charles River Associates International. He was also a founding principal of the InteCap Silicon Valley office, a founding principal at WCG, Inc., a Senior Consultant with PHB Hagler Bailly, a Project Engineer and Electric Resource Planner with Pacific Gas and Electric Company, and an Aerospace Design Engineer for Air Research Manufacturing.
Mr Dunbar is also the on-going advisor to a high-technology company, where he consults on the maximization the value of the company’s technology portfolio of patents and trade secrets outside of the context of litigation. He is 1 of 103 expert witnesses globally recognized in the Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration 2012, 2013 and 2014.
Recent engagements include:
- PICO Amal Petroleum Corporation, Grey Stone Petroleum Egypt Limited v. Egypt General Petroleum Corporation. ICC Arbitration, Sweden, Case No. 18874/MCP, Egyptian law. Breach of contract damages. Valuation of concession, lost profits due to delay of development plans, and invoice accounting. Egyptian Gulf of Suez.
- Oxy Resources California LLC, Occidental Petroleum Corporation. Valuation of oil and gas reserves, transportation facilities and production facilities, and determination of control premiums, and marketability discounts. Various locations in the U.S.
- Hunter Edison Oil Development, LP, Valuation of oil and gas reserves, transportation facilities and production facilities, and determination of control premiums, and marketability discounts. Change of control transaction. Various locations in the U.S.
- GE Transportation, LLC v. Unison Co., LTD: LCIA Arbitration 101770, Swiss law. Breach of Contract before the LCIA Arbitration Switzerland. Contract termination penalty assessment and damages analysis.
- Alpiq Ltd (Aare-Tessin Ltd) v. PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna Spolka Akeyjna; VIAC Arbitration Case no. SCH-5081, Austrian law. Testimony on Breach of Contract damages before the International Arbitral Centre of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber, Vienna. Testimony on the functioning of the Central European energy markets, and damages analysis.
- Scelta Marble Australia Pty Ltd v. Quarella S.p.A.; SCH-5081, Singaporean law. Advice on Breach of Contract before the International Arbitral Center of the Austrian Federal Economic Center, Singapore. Testimony on damages analysis and loss of brand value.
- Timex Group Luxury Watches B.V. (US) v. Valetino S.p.A (Italian); ICC Arbitration 16427/FM, Italian law. Advice on Breach of Contract before the International Court of Arbitration International Chamber of Commerce, Milan. Testimony on damages analysis and loss of brand value.
- Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica GMBH (Germany) and Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc. (USA) v. Merial S.A.S. (France) and Merial LTD. (UK), ICC Case No. 16166/EC/ND, Swiss law. Advice on Breach of Contract and Patent Infringement before the International Court of Arbitration International Chamber of Commerce, Geneva. Damages analysis, loss of brand value reasonable royalty.
- Mecanizados Solares, S.L. v. ET Solar Group Corp, et al. Case No. HKIAC/Arb/PA/09002 UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, US law. Theft of Trade Secrets, False Advertising and Breach of Contract before the Hong Kong International Arbitration. Testimony on damages analysis and reasonable royalty.
- T-Mobile Deutschland, Gmbh. v. Elektrim Telekomunikacja Sp. z.o.o. Advice on Breach of Contract before the Polish Federal Court, Warsaw. Testimony on business valuation and damages.
- T-Mobile Deutschland GmbH, T-Mobil Poland Holding No. 1 B.V. and Polpagar Sp. z.o.o., v. Carcom Warazawa Sp. z.o.o., Elektrim Autoinvest S.A., Vivendi S.A., and Vivendi Telecom International S.A Case No.: SCH – 5018, Polish law. Advice on Breach of Contract before the International Arbitral Centre of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber, Vienna. Testimony on business valuation and damages.